7 Strategies for Managing your Weight-Loss Goals


Weight Watcher Dinner: Fish and Peas and Carrots
How to manage your weight-loss goals
and stay on track.

When it comes to weight-loss goals, the scale is not your friend, but neither are your clothes.

These are just two methods that can be used to keep track of where you are. There are ways to keep your mood up throughout the day, despite what the scale says, but you have to want to change permanently.

And while you can reward yourself for reaching a few short goals, your focus and desires will determine whether or not you reach your goals in life.


I have been ignoring the truth about myself and basing the amount of carbs I eat on what I think I want right now. And because of that, my blood glucose level is much too high again. I have just been eating what I want to for meals and snacks instead of what was best for me.

To correct that, I've decided to return to my pre-diabetes diet and get my numbers under control. However, I am not going back to Atkins 72 to do this like I did before.

I don't want to eat just a dinner salad for an entire week, so this time, I'm going to use the principles of Atkins 92 to correct my high blood glucose quickly because that low-carb plan allows me to tailor my own Induction diet for myself.

[And yes, I can see that this is the same old song. Every time I return to eating mindlessly my blood sugar goes out of whack.]

Once my blood glucose numbers are under better control, I can return carbs to my diet and find my own personal carbohydrate tolerance. Once I know the number that is valid today, I can then restructure my diet to fit my health and fitness goals.

Carbs will still be somewhat low at first, but this will help me correct my blood sugar faster. Part of this new strategy is to cut way back on meat, due to its ability to affect health and blood sugar in those who are sensitive to protein foods.

And part of it is because you don't have to eat that much meat to get the weight-loss results you want. You can take advantage of other foods that contain protein.

There is no reason to eat more meat than your body requires.
In fact, a vegetarian weight-loss plan is as valid as any other low-calorie plan.

I happen to be sensitive to dairy right now, so dairy often produces inflammation if I eat too much of it. I can't eat the high-cheese recipes that so many on low-carb diets eat, without paying for it later on, so eating low carb is very difficult for me.

Eating less meat and dairy enables me to have respect for life and still meet my personal body requirements for the amino acids needed to sustain life and repair damaged structures within the body. Protein foods are also used to keep the immune system functioning correctly.

In this post, I'm going to talk about 7 strategies that all of us can use to manage our weight-loss goals on low carb, moderate carb, high carb, or whatever weight-loss plan you happen to be on.

Here are 7 weight-loss strategies to help you reach your weight-loss goals.

Strategy #1: The Scale is Not your Friend


I weigh myself almost every day.

But what about you?

Are you so anxious to see results that you weigh yourself every day? And how does the number on the scale affect how you feel about yourself?

Does it affect your mood for the entire day?

Does it make you blame yourself in some way? Or does it make you think that your weight-loss diet is at fault somehow?


I've been using the number on the scale to determine the amount of carbohydrates I eat that day instead of sticking to my carbohydrate tolerance.

But this practice of tying the scale number and how many carbs you eat together won't help me reach my weight-loss goal at all!

In fact, it will actually hinder me from doing what I need to do to ditch the excess fat.

For me, over the past few weeks, I've dropped 10 pounds when I ate less, but then it stopped because I wasn't counting how many carbs I was eating. I also wasn't paying attention to how many calories I was eating.

I was using the scale to determine what to eat or not eat instead of dialing in the carbohydrates with my blood glucose meter and paying closer attention to portion control.

Returning to my old food habits of eating unconsciously only messed up my blood glucose level again.

I need to remember that the scale is only a tool.

The scale can't design your health and fitness goals for you. Neither can it set up the best eating plan for you. That's a whopping mistake I have been making.

The scale can help you see a downward trend in weight, over time, but it won't reflect what's really going on inside of you right now.

Strategy #2: How to Use the Scale Wisely


Does the scale control your mood?

If so, then you might need to readjust how you see the weight that it shows you everyday. 

The scale doesn't just weigh body fat. It weighs everything:
  • hair, skin, and nails
  • muscles
  • body organs
  • body fat
  • water
  • undigested food
In other words, it can't help you determine what size you want to be.


One alternative to just stepping on the scale everyday and keeping a mental record of what's going on is to continue weighing yourself everyday, but record the result on a graph so that you can see the downward trend.

This will teach you about yourself and the personal pattern that your own weight loss and water fluctuations will have. This will help you to not be so upset when your weight bounces up a pound or two.

Weight loss is not consistent.

This is because the number on the scale doesn't reflect your actual health and fitness. It's just a number tool that can guide you into making better choices.

Strategy #3: Happiness is Not the Number on the Scale


Mood is not everything, but neither is what the weight-loss scale says to you each morning.

Mood is only a part of what you are.

It's a very large part, but not everything. Mood does determine your level of happiness or how you feel for the day, but what you do with your feelings is a choice you make every single minute of the day.

I have a habit of using food goals to reward myself. I try to keep the mood up while dieting, but I've come to the realization that doing that only keeps my main focus on food.

It doesn't really help me change my life for the better.

Happiness is a choice.

Few people realize that. The majority of humanity allow their feelings to control their behavior for the day.

That's kind of backwards because you can choose how you want to feel. And while you might not feel happy about what the scale says, you can still choose to be happy regardless of what the scale is reflecting back at you.

You can just accept it and still choose to be happy anyway.

The idea is to just be happy and not worry about how long it is going to take you to reach your weight-loss goal. While a low-calorie diet works slower than low carb might, for many of us, it is a much better option.

This simple change in perception and acceptance of the type of foods we need to include in our health and fitness plan to be happy will enable the changes we make to be permanent.

Weight loss doesn't have to be fast.


You can control the rate of weight loss by the amount of carbs and fat you eat, but you also need to eat enough to have the energy you need to make it through your day.

Slow weight loss is often better.

I've been working on this new strategy of cutting back on carbs and calories for about 3 years now, and even though I've had only partial success, I've lost 53 pounds doing it that way. But I still have a long way to go.

I do feel better than I have in a long, long time -- now that I've realized that happiness is a choice I am making right now.

The past is gone.

There's nothing we can do about the food and activity choices we made before. Being afraid of what the future might bring our way isn't a happy way to live either. Worrying about whether or not you will ever reach your weight-loss goal isn't productive.

I've realized that I just need to be happy today no matter what the scale says or what the future results in.

I've been running away from my potential for diabetes for quite a while now. But living in denial doesn't work. It's time to get serious. It's time to stop running away from the future and make the changes in my life that I need to make today, right now, permanently.

I have a habit of trying to go back to a high-carb diet whenever I get the blood sugar under control, but that's harming me. I can't choose high carb anymore. But I don't have to settle for the extreme of a low-carb diet either.

I can just lower the carbs to whatever my carbohydrate tolerance turns out to be and accept that this is the new me. I really need to discover my personal carbohydrate tolerance number for today because it might not be what was true for yesterday.

My maximum might be less than 30 to 40 carbs per meal. But I won't know until I use my blood glucose monitor to discover what my personal carbohydrate tolerance is.

Strategy #4: Find Non-Food Rewards and Things to Do


I've decided to ditch my tendency to save sugar-free treats for when I reach a mini goal. When you use food treats, it keeps you too preoccupied with food. Preoccupation makes temptation harder to control.

Plus, I don't react well to sugar alcohols and other sugar alternatives.  

Setting mini goals is fine, but when you reach that point, try to find a non-food thing to do instead of making and reaching for a sugar-free treat.


What I've come to realize is that I don't have to wait until I reach 180 pounds to make a cheesecake. I can make a dessert today if I want to, and do something different when I reach that first mini goal.

Think about all the non-food things you like to do, and then do those non-food things. Make the day special for you. Food is a major part of our society, but it doesn't have to be. Make the changes that are necessary for you today.

Strategy #5: Don't Get Caught Up in Clothing Sizes


Just like the scale can measure a downward trend, how your clothes fit will also be a tool that you can use to measure your progress on your weight-loss plan. Using your clothes isn't really a better way to do it.

It's just different.

I figured that out this morning when I put on last year's long sleeve thermal blouse that I used to really like. Today, it's quite baggy, so even though the scale shows I've lost another 13 pounds, for a total of 53, it looks like I've lost a lot more.

So don't get trapped by the numbers.

Numbers are just numbers. They don't mean anything.

And this goes for your clothing size as well. No one is going to know what size you wear unless you tell them, so make your weight-loss goal more personal than that.

Baggy can make you feel good, sure.

But it doesn't really mean much because the ultimate aim of a weight-loss diet is to permanently change your lifestyle to a health and exercise regimen that will enable you to be the size that you want to be.

That isn't always a number.

My current goal is 165 pounds, but today, I realized that even a goal of 165 doesn't mean very much.

What I really want is to be able to get down on my knees again without experiencing a lot of pain from the inflammation, and lowering my carbs to fit my personal carbohydrate tolerance is a step in the process of getting there. 

I also want to eat the foods, and amount of food, that will allow my blood sugar to stay below 140 mg/dl after meals.

I don't know if that will happen again this time, but I'm going to try to get back to where I was before I backslid and regained a lot of my weight.

Strategy #6: Choose the Diet that is Best for You


I've been involved with Atkins since 1975. Atkins has been a huge part of my life. Back then, there was only Atkins 72, which was a pretty strict low-carb diet.

Most of the other plans available back then used a minimum of 60 carbs a day. This level of carbohydrate worked for a lot of people.

But it's also what made the Atkins Diet different.

Atkins started you off at about 10 carbs day, which is not what I'm currently doing.

This is because the original Atkins Diet contained protein foods and a small salad per day, which Dr. Atkins believed was handled by the body as if you were not eating any carbs at all.

That isn't true, but that's what he believed.

The body simply stores excess carbohydrates as glycogen and uses them as needed. First. But this wasn't known back then. Or at least, wasn't talked about.

Over the years, I've tried to stick to a low-carb diet now and then, but it honestly makes me not feel very good at all. Eating only 20 carbs a day is rather harsh on the body and going too low in carbs for those who don't digest fat very well can adversely affects your energy, mood, and well-being because it's too extreme.

What worked better for me was to turn to a pre-diabetes diet.

A pre-diabetes diet can enable you to eat more carbs than is typical on a low-carb diet because it encourages you to find your own personal tolerance level for carbohydrates.

In the past, I have measured my blood sugar after every meal and created a diet that fit my own carbohydrate tolerance. At that time, I was able to eat between 20 and 30 carbs per meal.

This allowed me to have a higher-carb diet than those who typical eat low carb and still kept my blood sugar under 140 mg/dl, which is where the danger of diabetes complications begins.

Finding your carbohydrate tolerance is also what the Atkins Diet is designed to do, but it does it in a very different way. What I learned about myself is that doing it the Atkins way wasn't as accurate as it is when you measure your blood sugar after meals for yourself.

The reason why I decided to control my diet by measuring the blood sugar myself was because the doctor I was going to at the time told me the high-blood sugar numbers I was getting after meals was a fluke.

She did test my A1c and told me it was fine. It had not reached pre-diabetic numbers yet, so she wasn't concerned with how high my blood sugar was going after meals.

After meals, my blood sugar was going very high. I had neuropathy, which she called idopathic neuropathy because she couldn't figure out what was causing it. She tested me for a B12 deficiency and when that test turned out fine, she told me that I was not pre-diabetic and she didn't know what was causing the neuropathy.

Limiting my carbs to my personal carbohydrate tolerance back then helped the neuropathy improve. I only have pain in my feet and calves if I eat too many carbs or get accidentally glutened.

However, I don't recommend doing this for yourself without your doctor's approval.

I am not a doctor and I can't tell you what is best for you. I can only share my own personal experience with testing my blood sugar and how it affects my weight and health.

You have to choose the diet that is best for you.

And for me, that is a diabetic diet, rather than a very low carb one. I used to feel my best at 60 carbs a day, but I don't know if that is still true. I will have to test that in the days ahead.

Wishing for a diet of 120 carbs or more won't make it come true for me. Believing that a diet of 120 carbs or more is in my future isn't helping me to make the permanent changes I need to make now.

I have realized that my job right now is to accept the reality of where I am and do everything in my power to make a future difference, and I can do that by measuring my blood sugar after meals and creating a weight-loss diet that will fit that level of health and fitness for me right now.

Strategy #7: Living from the Heart


While happiness is a choice, the weight-loss diet you choose to permanently change your health and fitness has to come from the heart.

To do that, you'll have to seriously look at what you're doing right now, the effects it is having on your life and the others around you, and determine if what you have chosen to do is actually going to help you reach your weight-loss goals.

If not, then some form of change is required to correct the path you're on.

Change isn't easy. Change takes time. You can't change in a couple of days or even a couple weeks. Improvement isn't measured that way. And getting back to what's important to you takes strength and devotion.

What I've learned lately is that change requires you to create a goal plan, which lays out the exact steps you're going to follow to make the goal more than just a possibility. You work on one thing at a time and do the very best you can to incorporate that change into your life permanently.

You have to create mini goals, or steps, to help you reach the target.

And keeping track of the carbs, calories, and activity I'm going to engage in is what I've decided to do in order to change my life for the better. Once I know what my carbohydrate tolerance is, I'll have a better idea of what needs to be done to reach my goals.

What you decide to do about your own health situation might be different.

But to prevent my health from sliding into diabetes, a lower-carb diet that is fine-tuned to match my after-meal blood sugar numbers is what I have to do.

I have to change my total perspective around.

I honestly do not want diabetes complications, so I have to change right now.

I have to do what my heart is telling me to do. And my heart is telling me that I have to change, so I can be what I want to be.

And while that might sound simple, it's going to take time and a lot of work from me. I've always been serious, but just never realized how long it takes to reach some of our most important goals in life.

Backsliding isn't bad.

It just means you have to try harder to get back to what you were, and not let the material things in life distract you from what's important to you.

For me, that means I have 22 pounds to go.

Vickie Ewell Bio



Comments