Letting Go of the Low Carb Dream

Once you've been on a low-carb diet,
it's difficult to let go of the low-carb dream.

I have been struggling with my weight since 2007.

Some of that has come from my own creation, imagination, and choices, but most of the wrestle has been due to the scattered way I have been looking at life.

Like most people, I was caught in the net of projecting everything in my world outwardly. This left me with very little understanding, but with everyone else around me doing exactly the same thing, I didn’t realize there was another choice available – not until today.


I was quite successful at weight loss in 2007, but it isn’t 2007 anymore.

It’s 2012.

I’ve wasted five years of my life running around searching for a low-carb rainbow that doesn’t exist.

I came to that realization this evening.

The largest problem in my life isn’t my weight, even though I still weigh 180 pounds on a five-foot, large-boned frame.

The biggest problem in my life is my fear of letting go of the low-carb dream.

I've Spend Years Tweaking a Low-Carb Diet


When I first came to the realization that a low-carb diet tricked you into eating less, that didn’t really bother me.

As long as eating low carb worked, I didn’t see why the real mechanism mattered.

If using the starvation and famine pathway got the job done, who cares?


As time went on and my food choices became more and more restricted, it became harder to remain true to the Atkins Diet.

Yet, I was still reluctant to let go.

I think I wanted the science that Dr. Atkins shared to be true so badly that I literally spent years chasing after various ways to tweak a low-carb diet. I felt that there had to be a way to make it work.

None of that tweaking worked because my blood glucose control had degenerated to the point where a very low-carb diet was no longer an option for me.

When I eat very low carbs, my blood glucose control goes really wacky. Deep down inside, I knew that, but I wasn’t ready to accept it as true.

I could talk about my health challenges and inability to stick to a low-carb diet for more than a few days. I could blame my food intolerance, my autoimmune condition, but I couldn’t let go.

Maybe that’s why I found Weight Watcher’s Online so disturbing and commercial. I don’t know. I still don’t see the point, however, so that’s not where I’m going.


Moving On from a Low-Carb Diet is Necessary for Me


For me, moving on from a traditional, low-carb diet is mandatory if I want to bring my mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical well-being back into balance.

I understand that now.

That lightning bolt struck me solidly in the heart when I went to Big Daddy D’s Low Carb Blog earlier this evening.

He was following a low-carb diet back in 2007, and we became Internet friends, but I hadn’t been to his blog in years.

In 2011, he wrote a book that contained all of the recipes he had posted at his blog, but like me, he was struggling to make a low-carb diet work for him. He wasn't blogging regularly like he was earlier.

In an attempt to overcome the problem, he started a new blog called Shaping Body, Mind, and Spirit. That blog wasn’t actually about starting over, even though he was switching from a low-carb diet to a low-calorie diet, but bringing all of the scattered pieces of ourselves back together.

As I read his first post at that blog, I realized what I’ve been doing wrong for so long.

Why Am I Holding On to Low Carb So Tightly?


I know that portion control is what makes a low-carb diet work best, but I also know that eating the Atkins way hurts my health. I’m starving, tired, irritable, dizzy, and seriously lacking in cognitive function.

My body doesn’t want to do low carb anymore. That's what it's telling me.

So, why am I fighting so hard to cling to the low-carb dream?

It seems rather silly to me right now, especially since I know that the energy equation isn’t a fairy tale as many low carbers pretend it is. Calories matter. They always have. Even Dr. Atkins said that.

I Need to Let Go


Tomorrow, I have to head up north early in the morning to Pep Boys, so they can put a set of new tires on my car, but my plan is to let go of low carbing for good and move to a more moderate-carb diet.

Although that was my intent when I started this blog, looking back, I can see that I have just continued to chase after various forms of a low-carb diet.

A couple of months ago, I started to let go, but I didn’t realize what my fear of moving to a low-calorie diet was doing to me. As a result, I gained a few pounds, putting me back at where I was before doing the HCG diet. Tonight I realized that’s because I’m eating haphazardly with no plan.

Although I don’t know exactly where I’m going at this point, even eating at my current maintenance level of calories would be better than a total lack of awareness for what's causing the pounds to slip back on again, but becoming aware will require me to learn how many calories are in the food I’m eating.

Gluten-free foods tend to be higher in calories than their counterpart, but that’s okay. I’m up to the challenge, although I don’t know how my body is going to react to the change.

On one side of the fence, I will be happier because the brain won’t have to wait for the liver to convert the meat I'm currently eating into glucose. On the other side of the fence, I can find less inflammatory ways to eat than a low-carb diet. Both sides of the fence appear to be a winning situation. Time will tell, I guess.

Comments